We had a terrific day today with our special guests! The children came in this morning wide-eyed and excited! Our guests arrived at 10:00 ready to share what life was like when they were younger. We began by sharing stories and then created a Venn Diagram to show how things have changed and what is still the same. Then we created family crests. These turned out wonderful! Finally, we shared in a wonderful feast provided by our guests and parents. The feast was a representation of traditional family recipes from our classroom!
Everyone seemed to really enjoy themseleves and a lot of learning took place! Although, I think simply having a grandparent or family member at school and sharing in some wonderful food was the best part for the children. We were all risk-takers and tried new foods! Here are some of the comments:
"I liked Alex's dad's food. I've tried them before, but he makes it better than Publix! Actually, they were the best!" -Ivan
"Today is the best day ever!" -Anna
"Why?"-student
"Because the coffee cake was so delicious!!!"-Anna
"I was excited about the grandparents coming!"-Alex
"There was a lot of things that they did back then. They did hula hoops and they had wooden desks. They had both wooden chairs and wooden desks!" -Carolyn
"Grandparents day was very fun becuase our grandparents came in and Anna and Michelle were a very big help. They helped me explain to my grandparents how to make the Venn Diagram."-Gabbrielle
"I liked Paige's peanut brittle!"-Chandler
"It was fun to have them here!"-Nathan
"The most fun was making family crest and lunch!"-Paige
It was fun making the Venn diagram. Back in the old times, it was only propeller planes but now it's jet planes."-John S.
"I learned to eat new stuff. I like the gingerbread cookies!"-Michelle
"I tried nachos and I really like it!"-Summer
I think we are all very full of both deeper knowledge and wonderful foods! Thank you to all who made this day such a success. I will post some pictures at a later time.
3 comments:
Thank you so much for this blog. It is such a new way to see the classroom. I love reading the children's comments, especially when it's so hard for me to visit the classroom.
Mrs. Haddock,
You are such a wonderful teacher! I am learning so much from you!
Sincerely,
Ms. Montalto
Thank you so much for this blog.
What a great idea and you are a great teacher!!!
Thank you!
Post a Comment